Find your Property's Zoning Category

Are you building a home or opening a new business and need to find out what is allowed in your zone? The City of Miami offers tools to help determine if you need to apply for a Warrant or an Exception Permit for a specific use in your zone.  


Search Property

Enter the address of the property you’re considering into the GIS Map Tool.  Click “Search” and type in your address, then hit search again. (You must format your search like this, "444 SW 2 ave"). 

NOTE: If you need help with the GIS tool. 

Find your Transect Zone

Once the property is generated, Click the “zoning” tab. You will see the “zone” column (this is also referred to as your transect zone) and is labeled as T4-L, C-CI, D-D1, etc.

TIP: If there are numbers in between the letter names of your zone, you can disregard those for now.

NOTE: Be sure to also look at the “Areas of Specific Designation” Box underneath. If this box says “SD” (special district), this means you are required to get a class II special permit, which supersedes a warrant and should be attended to first (i.e. apply for the class II, not the Warrant). If your zone says SD and your usage requires an exception (see below), you must apply for the Exception permit, and simply note "Class II" on that application.

View Your Transect Zone Uses

Click on your transect zone (in the box that says zone), and you will be routed to a portion of Miami21 that details what can and cannot be done in this zone.

Scroll down to “Article 4, Table 3” within this document to find a spreadsheet of building functions and uses. 

Determine if you Need a Warrant or Exception (Special Permit)

View the column for your transect, then match that column with the row for your desired usage (i.e. T4-L and Lodging-Inn or D1 and Commercial-Open Air Retail) and you will see one of four options:

  • “R”: If there is an R in the box, that means this usage is allowed by rightin this zone.
  • “W”: If there is a W in the box, that means this usage is allowed only by warrant , which is a permit that you will need to apply for.
  • “E”: If there is an E in the box, this usage is allowed only by exception , which is a permit you will need to apply for. An exception requires a hearing and is granted by the PZAB (Planning, Zoning, & Appeals Board). 
  • Blank: If the box is blank, that means this usage is prohibited in this transect.

View the Miami 21 Code for definitions and explanations of all functions/uses listed in this table. 

Apply for Warrant/Exception if Necessary

If you have determined that a warrant or exception is necessary for your location + function/usage, follow the steps for these processes. 

Apply for a Warrant

Apply for an Exception

NOTE: It is possible that your usage falls into multiple categories and that you may need a warrant and an exception (i.e. a food service establishment allowed by exception may also need an outdoor dining warrant). In that case, apply for the exception, specify any warrants which may also be necessary, and the warrantwill travel with the exception application.  

NOTE: Before applying for your warrant or exception, you may also need waivers .  Click here to find out and/or view the waiver process. If you are applying for a warrant or exception, your waivers will travel with that application.  

NOTE: Warrants and Exceptions have time-lines. If approved, you will have a specific time-frame in which to complete all other permits, permissions & certificates needed.