Get a Special Events Permit


  • Cut off for Special Event and Temporary Event Permit applications for Art Basel/Art Miami week (taking place Dec 4th to Dec. 10th) is October 13th at midnight.
  • Cut off day for Special Event Building Permit applications for Art Basel is Nov 10th, 2023.

Do you want to host a special event in the City of Miami? These instructions will show you how to apply for a special event permit and gather necessary documents. 

NOTE: If your event is on private property or in a home for more than 100 people, you need to Request a Temporary Event Permit (TEP). If your event is in being held in a park (for less than 300 people), you need to Reserve a Park Facility.  


Ensure You're Applying for the Correct Event

The City of Miami has different applications for different event types.

  • Apply for a Special Event (below).
  • Applying for a Temporary Event: When you host an event on private property, or in a home for more than 100 people. 
  • Reserve a Park Facility for an event at a City of Miami ParkNOTE: If you're going to have live music, mechanical rides, need police, or will host more than 300 people at the park, please continue with the below application for a Special Event.

Review Rules & Timing

  • Event organizers may only apply for ten total days of events per year.  (For instance, you can host one (1), ten-day event or two (2), five-day events, or ten (10), one-day events).
  • You must complete the Special Events Application at least fourteen (14) days prior to your event.
  • A $50.00 non-refundable application fee must be paid online upon submission of your application.
  • Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Applicants will then be invited to a special events meeting (every 2nd Wednesday of the Month) to review your application with City of Miami staff and discuss further details and needs of your event.
  • Coconut Grove applicants are also required to pay a supplementary fee and attend a Coconut Grove BID meeting to present your event for approval. TIP: The BID meets monthly, and you must get on their schedule ahead of time. We recommend starting this process at least 60 days before your event. 
  • Alcohol sale and consumption during a special event must end by 3:00AM.*
  • If your completed application does not include a site plan/life safety plan or MOT, your application will not be reviewed. Events may be cancelled if the required documentation is not received within the correct time frame. 

*All end-times are subject to and must comply with City curfews and/or emergency orders. 

Collect Documents

Please prepare these documents for the application. You application will not be processed without these properly formatted documents.

  • A site plan (if event is outside) or floor plans (if event is inside), 11"x17" mechanically drawn to ¼” scale showing property boundaries with event name, address, date and time printed on all plan page.
  • Life safety plan (by a licensed professional, I.e. an architect or engineer).
  • NOTE: The top right hand corner of your plans needs to be reserved for batch stamp. Space should be 3x3.
  • A Business Tax Receipt if you are a for-profit organization and will be charging an entrance fee and/or selling anything (food, beverage, merchandise, etc.)
  • You will need to download, complete, and re-upload the following: 

NOTE: Site plans must show the dimensions of the lot and specify the entrances and exits including the dimension (measurements) of the gate. If using tents, you must show their placement, location of portable toilets, location of all tables and chairs should be specified and the names of all surrounding streets. Floor plans must show the square footage of the location being used, the entrances and exits including dimension (size) & emergency exits, location of fire extinguishers, location of stairs (if any), locations of bathrooms, location of all tables and chairs should be specified and the names of surrounding streets.

You may also need:

  • Copy of active Liquor License if serving/selling alcohol.
  • If you plan to erect a tent larger than 10x10, you will have to get a fire safety permit as well.  
  • Building permits for a special event, if applicable. We will walk you through this process if you qualify. 
  • Additional police, fire, parking information, county forms and more. Our team will let you know what is needed, but you can find some information here. 

Apply for Special Event Permit

Complete Application Online

NOTE: If you're applying for a Temporary Event Permit for a COVID testing/vaccine site, you can complete the application at this page

Pay Fee

You will receive a $50 invoice from The City of Miami for your application. You application will not be processed until payment is received.

Pay Invoice

Respond to Notes from The City

  • Once you submit your application, The City will create a project in ProjectDox and invite you into the project, via email. If you've never used ePlan/ProjectDox before, you'll have to create an account. All communication will now take place in this portal. 
  • You will receive further instructions regarding applying for a Building Permit, Police, Parking, and more in ProjectDox in the "comments" folder.  
  • The City departments will review your application, and request additional information, a meeting, or corrections, as needed.
  • New/corrected documents should be uploaded directly into ePlan/ProjectDox. 

Prepare Notification Letters

  • If you're going to be closing streets, you will need to prepare notification letters. We will walk you through this process via email.
  • You will have to send us a copy of these confirmations. 

How to Map Notification Letters

Pay Final Invoice, Receive Permit

  • Once you have completed all comments in ProjectDox, you will receive a final invoice.
  • Your special event permit will not be issued until you have completed the above and paid all invoices (permit fees, etc.). You can pay here.
  • Once all departments have approved and invoice is paid, you will receive an "all approved documents" via email.