Get a Demolition Permit (Total or Partial)

Were you ordered to demolish a home, per the Unsafe Structures division, or are you knocking down a home to build a new one? You need a demolition permit. 

NOTE: Only a Qualified Licensed Contractor may apply for this permit. A home owner can not apply for this permit directly.


Verify that your Project is in the City of Miami

You need to ensure that your property is in City limits, and you'll need your property's folio #. You can find this using our GIS tool, hit "search" and search your address.  Or, you can do a county property search - if your folio # begins with -01, your property is in the City of Miami. 

NOTE: The GIS search bar auto-populates to a specific format. Type slowly and wait for your address to pop up. If you're not in the City of Miami, your address won't appear. 

Collect Documents

You will need the following in order to apply for a demolition permit:

  • A Recent Site Survey. This must be prepared by a certified Surveyor. The survey can not be more than six months old and must be drawn to scale.
  • The Tree Boundary Survey depicting all trees on-site, including those in the right of way. For a residential or duplex property, the survey can be prepared by the owner or a owner's representative, as long as it reflects the below information. For a commercial property, you must contact a Florida Licensed Surveyor to obtain a Tree/Boundary Survey. The survey can not be more than one year old, and must include:
  • Tree protection superimposed around trees on-site on the demolition plan to scale (which also need to be shown/depicted). 
  • Tree Protection Detail included in the application (see attached). This can be found on page 70 Miami-Dade Landscape Manual
  • Specifications for trees on-site
    • Tree Protection should be about 8”-12” radius per inch of DBH.  

NOTE: These are the minimum documents required. Additional documents from Public Works, Environmental Resources and/or Zoning may be requested. 

Complete Application

  • You will need to create an iBuild account to apply (or if you already have an account, simply login below).
  • Select "start application" and then "total/partial demolition permit".
  • After filling out the application, you will be asked if you'd like to upload your plans electronically. 
  • >If so, proceed with the below steps.
    >If not, submit all of your documents (including your signed & notarized application, which is printed after you apply below) to the Building Department at 444 SW 2nd Ave, 4th Floor.
  • Prior to submitting your application, you will be asked to designate a "main point of contact". This person will be the recipient of an email (from directing them to submit documents/drawings.

Apply for Demolition Permit

Pay Upfront Fee

Your application package includes a financial transaction page (invoice) and a transaction ID. You can click the pay button immediately after submission or follow below. You do not need a customer ID. 

  • The upfront fee is based on the total size of the project, per the City's ordinance.
  • If you are demolishing because you received a violation, the permit fee will be doubled + $110.

Pay Upfront Fees

Print & Notarize

  • After you submit your application, you can download your package. Download, print, and notarize where applicable. 
  • Upload your printed/notarized application (only if you chose 'yes' to uploading documents) to your ePlan project account (see below). If you selected 'no', you will bring your printed/notarized application to the city to submit in-person. 

Prepare your Documents for Upload

You must name each of your files in a very specific way, known as a Standard Naming Convention, in order to upload documents. 

NOTE: These names can not change once they've been givenView Naming Instructions

TIP: Any documentation that is required “signed and sealed” (by an architect, engineer, etc.), will require a digital signature for uploads.  This does not refer to an applicant's physical signature on an application. How to Obtain a Digital Signature (Design Professionals)

Upload Documents

After payment/submission, you will receive an email with a link to Electronic Plan Review Portal (ProjectDox). If you've never created an account, you must do so. If you already have an account, login. How to Upload Documents Electronically

  • Select "manage my existing projects," locate your project, and complete the applicant upload task. 
  • Upload all required documents and drawings (ie. completed signed permit application, NOAs, etc.).

NOTE: Please be sure to verify that all required drawings & documents have been included and are placed in the appropriate folder ("Drawings vs. Documents"). Once you hit "upload complete", your ability to upload any more documents will be restricted until the completion of the City's application acceptance process. 

Upload Documents in ePlan Portal

Wait for Application Acceptance

  • Your application, documents, and drawings will be pre-screened.
  • We will notify you via e-mail (from if there is a problem with your submission. 
  • TIP: A common mistake is not following the City’s standard file naming conventions or having more than one page per file for drawings.  

Respond to Review

  • Once your application has been accepted, it will undergo review.   For a Building permit application, it can take up to 14 business days for the first cycle of review to be completed.
  • You will be notified (via email) if your application requires corrections.  If so, address the concerns and upload any revised drawings and/or documents.
  • This process may need to be repeated several times before your application is approved.

NOTE: You may modify the content of your file(s), but do not change the file names when you re-submit, unless you have been instructed to do so.

Submit Corrections in ePlan

Await Final Approval

You will be notified when your plans are approved. You will be required to complete several finalization steps, which may include “Adding/Updating Contractor”. The email you receive will include detailed steps for how to complete this process.

Pull Permit & Print your Permit Card

View instructions for pulling and printing your permit. You must pull your permit, pay any outstanding fees, then print. 

Pull Permit Instructions

NOTE: You must keep your printed permit card on-site at all times. 

Address Sewer Cap

Once you pull/print your permit, you must apply for a sewer cap sub-permit.  Go to iBuild, and pull this from your master demolition permit. There are no reviews for this, just payment.

Close Your Violation

If this demolition was in response to an Unsafe Structure violation, you must contact the Unsafe Structures division to pay your violation fees and Finalize your permit.  Email for details.