Register for an Unsafe Structure Hearing

Do you want to speak before the City of Miami Unsafe Structures panel? When a hearing takes place, you must register beforehand if you'd like to speak, this form allows you to register online. 


View Schedule

View Upcoming Hearings for Unsafe Structures

Collect Information

In order to register to speak at an Unsafe Structure hearing, you will need to know the following:

  • Full address of the property you want to speak about
  • Date of hearing (you will have this on a notice if you are the owner)
  • Relationship to property (owner, attorney, neighbor, interested party, etc.)

 Register for Unsafe Structure Hearing


The Unsafe Structures Panel hearings are being conducted in accordance to Chapter 10, Article VI of the City of Miami Code. The purpose of these hearings is to give the appellant the opportunity to contest the decision of the Building Official or his designee, which resulted in the structures being declared unsafe. The hearing will be conducted in a quasi-judicial manner by a three, (3) member panel designated by the Clerk of the Courts. Voting will consist of the three, (3) members with a ruling based on a majority vote.

The Panel will hear testimony from the Building official or his designee, the owner and other parties interested and their respective witnesses. It is required that all persons who testify as to facts, be placed under oath. The hearing shall be informal and need not be conducted according to technical rules related to evidence and witnesses. Any relevant evidence shall be admitted if it is the type of evidence on which responsible persons are accustomed to rely in the conduct of serious affairs regardless of existence of any common law or statutory rules, which might make improper the admission of such evidence over objections in civil actions. All documentary evidence must be submitted for placement in the hearing file.

The Panel after all of the evidence has been presented may order the securing, repair and or demolition of the structure(s) upon application of the standards set forth in the City Code. The Panel may affirm, modify or rescind the decision of the Building Official as recited in the Notice of Violation. 

Any person aggrieved by a decision of the Unsafe Structure Panel may seek judicial review in accordance with the Florida Rules of Appellant Procedure. The Order must be appealed within 30 days from the date issued.