Get a Business Tax Receipt (BTR)

Are you opening a new business and have finished your CU (or you didn't need one)? Every business needs to obtain a Business Tax Receipt to operate in the City (also known as an Occupational License). 

In addition, every business is also required to obtain a Miami-Dade County Local Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as an Occupational License).

Try our new Business Licensing Application tool, eStart


Step 1.Finalize Certificate of Use (CU), if Necessary

Most businesses need a CU before they can get a BTR. You will need to present a copy of your CU.

Exception: Peddlers, Food Trucks, or if you do not have a physical location in the City of Miami, but you are doing business here. If your business falls in this category, go directly to the BTR application, below. 

Get a Certificate of Use (CU)

Step 2.Collect Documents, Prepare Information

You must provide:

  • The Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) for your Business. (Your Social Security Number is acceptable if you're using your legal name as your business name.)
  • If this is for a hotel, restaurant, or convenience store, do you have the proper State of Florida Licensing?

If your BTR is State-regulated, the following are required, if applicable:

  • State License for Business
  • State License for each Professional
  • Social Security Number for each Professional
  • Government-Issued Photo Identification

Step 3.Complete Form

  • You can now complete your BTR application online. 

Apply for BTR

Step 4.Address any Outstanding Issues, Get Approval

  • The City will let you know via email if any problems need to be addressed.
  • If your application is approved, an invoice will be provided to you via email. 

Step 5.Pay Invoice

Pay online with a credit card, using your customer number. 

Pay Online Now

Step 6.Await License

You will receive an interim BTR license via email.

Step 7.Don't Forget the Miami-Dade County Process

Every business is also required to get a Miami-Dade Local Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as an Occupational License).

Apply to County