Get a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) on Vacant Land

NOTE: This page refers to a "Temporary Use on Vacant Land", which applies to activating vacant properties for temporary uses such as structures, tents, pop-ups, kiosks, exhibition areas, and other similar uses dealing in the areas of food, arts, vocation, culture, and entertainment.  This permit lasts up to three years and gets renewed every year.  

If you have a temporary need for trailers, fences, loading areas, or parking; usually on a construction area, you need a Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP)


Collect the Necessary Documents

You will need to include the following documents with your application. You can use this check list(PDF, 202KB) or view the list below. 

  • A detailed Letter of Intent (LOI) . Statement should detail the structure(s) you will be bringing or constructing onto the land and include size, all proposed uses, and location within the existing property. Please provide as much detail as possible. 
  • Detail Operation Plan (must include concept, purpose, goals, vendors, hours of operation, number of employees, permits and licenses, insurance and liability, food trucks safety policies, parking plan, landscape plan, electrical plan, water plan, security, sanitary and kitchen safety plan, trash removal, and restroom).
  • *Site plan/detailed architectural plans of your proposed project signed and sealed by the design professional (architect/engineer, etc.).   Site Plan must show location of electricity or silent generators (if any), the dimensions of the lot, the entrances and exits including the dimension (measurements) of the gate, the location of restroom or portable toilets, and identify the names/street address of all surrounding streets.*
  • Leasing agreement if using substitute property for parking.  
  • Fire Department questionnaire(PDF, 146KB).
  • Notarized Property Owner's Permission Affidavit, prepared by applicant, in order to operate on subject site. 
  • Site and Context Photos of existing site conditions (upload as a pdf in the 'documents' folder, see below). 
  • Vegetation survey signed & sealed within one year of the application date.
  • Boundary Survey from surveyor, which must be no more than one-year old. (NOTE: The Base Building Line will eventually need to be marked by Public Works on your survey.  We suggest you do this now, prior to submission, to avoid delays). 
  • Complete list of all folio numbers and property addresses in pdf format (if more than one primary address or master folio). You can gather this information using our GIS tool, instructions here.  If the property is City owned, you must print and attach to the application the property search results to show that the property is owned by the City.
  • Your signed application. After your finish the online application process below, your final application will be emailed to you.  You must sign the application and upload it into your "document" folder (see below).

*NOTE: You will only be able to upload a site plan/architectural plans if your professional (contractor/engineer, etc.) uses the digital signature tool.  Otherwise, you will have to submit these documents in-person. 

Apply for your TUP Online

  • You will have to create an ePlan account or login to an existing account.  
  • Select "standard application"  first, then "Temporary Use Permit" as your type of Special Permit.  You can name your application whatever you want. 
  • At the end of the application process, you'll receive an email prompting you to upload your documents.

Apply for TUP on Vacant Land

Prepare Your Documents for Upload

You must follow a standard naming convention in order to upload documents, or your application will be delayed. 

NOTE: These names can not change once they've been given. 

Standard Naming Directions

NOTE: Any documentation prepared by a professional, that is required to be “signed and sealed” will need a digital signature. View How to Obtain a Digital Signature

Upload Documents

  • After you have completed your initial submission, you will receive an email from prompting you to upload your documents. To do this, log back into the portal and select "manage my existing projects". 
  • Select your project number, and go to the "applicant upload task" tab.
  • Upload documents and submit.
  • This is also where you can manage your application as it progresses. 

NOTE: Once you hit "upload complete - send to City of Miami", your ability to upload any more documents will be restricted until the completion of the City's application acceptance process. 

Upload Documents

Modify Plans and Documents, if Necessary

You will likely receive an email with comments from The City, as plans/documents often require modifications. Address the comments/issues to the best of your ability. Once you have addressed the comments from reviewers, you will need to re-submit your revised documents (go to "manage my existing project").  

  • You should address your comments immediately. If there is no activity on the project in ePlan within six months, the application will be considered abandoned and you will have to start over. 
  • Multiple cycles of comments may occur back and forth, depending on your project.  You may be contacted to begin your pre-application meeting (below)  as you are addressing these issues. Nevertheless, all issues must be finalized before official project approval can take place. 

NOTE: You may modify the content of your file(s), but do not change the file names when you re-submit, unless you have been instructed to do so.

Attend a Pre-Application Meeting(s)

When the project has been deemed by staff as minimally sufficient to progress (dependent on addressing all aforementioned issues), you will be contacted to attend a pre-application meeting. 

The City staff will use this meeting to further clarify any questions about your application. You can also use this time to obtain information and guidance relating to your project. You will be instructed to address any outstanding issues. More than one meeting may be necessary to address all of the issues. 

NOTE: You should address the comments from staff immediately. If there is no activity on the project in ePlan within six months, the application will be considered abandoned, and you will have to start over from the beginning. 

Attend Final Review

  • When your project is deemed ready for the next step, you will attend a final pre-application meeting, and will be notified that final staff review has taken place.
  • At this time, you will be given a letter to notify your neighbors of your project (see below). 

Notify Neighbors

NOTE: You may not begin this process until the above staff review has been completed, and the minimum requirements have been met (you will be notified of this completion and given a signed letter to send to neighbors). 

You must notify abutting neighbors, nearby registered HOAs (which includes the Planning Department and appropriate commissioners) and the applicable NET office of your project.  Click here to obtain an accurate list of these addresses. 

Once you have the addresses, you must: 

  • Make copies of the signed letter that was given to you from The City in your final review. Each letter must be addressed to the appropriate recipient in the body of the letter.
  • Send each letter via U.S. Certified Mail, and make copies of all mail receipts (one per letter), which need to match the addresses on your letters.

Upload Letters + Revised Documents

A copy of your letters + revised documents must be submitted in your final application (see below) within five days of the date on your certified mail receipts. 

You should also upload/address any and all outstanding comments from your final review meeting. 

Submit all revised documents here (select "manage my project") and include copies of the notification letters + mail receipts as proof of certified mail.

NOTE: Notices that are mailed prior to being signed by staff, will result in you having to start the notification process over.  

Review Fees & Pay for your Application

As per chapter 62, sect. 62.22 the new TUP fee is as follows: For lot area up to 9,500 SF base fee of $475.00. And for lot area beyond the 9,500 SF the fee is $0.05 cents per SF.

You will be emailed a transaction statement (invoice) with your total amount due.  You will need you transaction ID number in order to pay. You do not need a customer ID. 

Click here to pay

Await Response

Once the application has been paid for and final documents have been uploaded, you will hear back from The City.  You will either receive an approval, an approval with conditions, or a denial. 

Address Response

  • If approved, a TUP is valid for a period of one (1) year, during which time a Building Permit and a Temporary Certificate of Use must be obtained.  Two, one-year (1) time extensions may be approved granted by the Zoning Administrator  if requested prior to the expiration of the original term.
  • If you receive an approval with conditions, you must comply with all conditions (within the lifespan of the TUP) before a building permit can be issued.