What is the function of the Office of the City Attorney?

The City of Miami Office of the City Attorney represents the City of Miami, its elected and appointed officials, departments and boards. The City Attorney and the assistants serve as advisor and counsel with respect to all legal matters including but not limited to all litigation, commercial transactions and legislative matters.

How can I receive a copy of a particular code or ordinance of the City of Miami?

Codes and Ordinances for all municipalities are made available on the internet. Click on the following link: Municipal Code Corporation.

How can I obtain the schedule for the City of Miami Commission Meetings?

Contact the City Clerk's Office 305-250-5360 or the Agenda Office at 305-416-2070. Click on the following link to obtain the agenda: City of Miami website and click on the Commission Agenda menu item or here.

Where can I get copies of the City Commission meeting recording?

Obtain audio recording transcripts from the City Clerk's office, 305-250-5360 and visual recordings from the Office of Communications, 305-416-1440.

I would like to speak before the City of Miami City Commission, how do I go about?

Visit or call the City of Miami City Clerk's Office for instructions:
City of Miami City Clerk's Office
3500 Pan American Drive
Coconut Grove, FL
Telephone: 305-250-5360 

My car was towed in Miami, who do I contact?

Locate the sign posted in the area in which the car was towed. The sign will have the name of the towing company used. If there is no sign, then contact the City of Miami Police Department Auto Pound Unit at 305-579-6585, between the hours of 7:00a.m. to 3:30p.m.

Where is my Neighborhood Enhancement Team (NET) office located?

To find the NET office that services your neighborhood, click: NET.

I was issued a code violation, who do I contact?

The citation should have a contact telephone number. If not, you will need to contact your Neighborhood Enhancement Team (NET) Office.

A code enforcement lien was placed on my property, what do I have to do?

You will need to contact the Hearing Boards Division in the Planning & Zoning Department at 305-416-2030.

My property was damaged by a City of Miami vehicle or I was involved in an automobile accident with a City of Miami vehicle, who do I call to report it?

USIS, Inc.

A Claims Adjuster will be assigned and will be available to assist with any questions.

What is the address for the City of Miami Police Department?

400 N.W. 2nd Avenue
Miami, FL 33128-1786

What is the address and telephone number of the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office?

Visit the website by clicking on the following link: Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office.

Where do I file a Small Claims Court action?

Small Claims are filed with the Miami-Dade County Clerk's Office. The telephone number is 305-275-1155 and/or to visit their website click on the following link: Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts.

What is the telephone number to the Florida Attorney General?

Visit the website by clicking on the following link: Florida Attorney General.

Where can I look for a judgment or status of a case?

Access the website under "Search Recorded Documents": Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts.

I need a building permit for the City of Miami.

Visit the City of Miami Building Department, Permit counter, located at
444 SW 2nd Ave - 4th Floor Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Miami, Florida 33130 Permit Section: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM

or visit the website: City of Miami Building Department.

How do I get information on Miami 21, the zoning code that is being developed and recommended for legislative action to replace the existing zoning ordinance?

Click: Miami21 your city, your plan.

How do I file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

Click: Better Business Bureau.

Where do I need to go to file a restraining order?

Click: Miami-Dade County Domestic Violence Overview and Filing a Restraining Order.

What is the Sunshine Law?

Florida's Government-in-the-Sunshine law provides a right of access to governmental proceedings at both the state and local levels. It applies to any gathering of two or more members of the same board to discuss some matter which will foreseeably come before that board for action. Virtually all state and local collegial public bodies are covered by the open meetings requirements with the exception of the judiciary and the state Legislature which has its own constitutional provision relating to access.

For further information click: Florida Attorney General - Most Frequently Asked Questions - Sunshine Law

How do I obtain a copy of a document or other material made or received by the City of Miami in connection with official business that is not exempt from disclosure?

Section 119.07(1), F.S., establishes a right of access to public records and imposes a duty upon every person who has custody of a public record to permit the record to be inspected and copied by any person desiring to do so, at any reasonable time, under reasonable conditions. A public records request does not have to be made in writing. However, should you want to make a written request, the following letter can be used a model. Fill in the appropriate date and address for the records you are requesting.

"Pursuant to Article I, section 24, of the Florida Constitution, I am requesting select: INSPECTION and/or COPIES of the following public records: [describe the records you are requesting.] Should you deny my request, or any part of the request, please state in writing the basis for the denial, including the exact statutory citation authorizing the denial, as required by s. 119.07(1)(d), F.S.
I will contact your office within select a specific period of time: 24 hours; 48 hours; one week; etc. to discuss when I may expect fulfillment of my request, and payment of any statutorily prescribed fees. If you have any questions in the interim, you may contact me at ________ (fill in a telephone number where you can be reached)."

You can obtain more information about the Government-in-the-Sunshine and Public Records at: First Amendment Foundation.

I need an attorney and cannot afford one?

You may contact one of the following organizations who provide free legal services. (Must complete an application to qualify.)

Cuban American Bar Association
1898 N.W. 7th Street, Miami, FL 33125
Phone: 305-646-0046

Legal Aid Society of DCBA
Dade County Bar Association (DCBA)
123 N.W. First Avenue, Suite 214, Miami, FL 33128
Phone: 305-579-5733 Ext. 2285

Legal Services of Greater Miami
4343 W. Flagler Street, Suite 100, Miami, FL 33134
Phone: 305-576-0080

How do I Request Public Records?

To request Public Records, click: Public Records.

Other Helpful Links

Florida Commission on Ethics

Florida Statutes

Miami-Dade County

Miami-Dade County Commission on Ethics

Miami-Dade County Elections Department

Miami-Dade Public Defender's Office

Miami-Dade County League of Cities

The Florida Public Official's Handbook

The Miami-Dade County League of Cities Elected Officials' Handbook

Final Report of the Charter Review and Reform Committee

If you don't find the answer on this page you may visit the City of Miami website at www.miamigov.com or call